Monday, June 29, 2015

This Is Your Brain on Ideas



I have ideas.  So many ideas. Oftentimes, it feels like I have too many, and I end up dropping most of them without getting anywhere (see image above).  Conventional imagery depicts "a-ha!" moments with a single light bulb popping up in the mind. However, one light bulb is not the most accurate representation of that moment for me.  A better description would be as a tangled mess of flickering christmas lights. If I had epilepsy, my own thoughts would give me a seizure every time I have a moment of inspiration. As one could imagine, mentally processing all of these bright, yet transient, ideas would be difficult. It is for this reason that I typically find it frustrating to actually implement all of the thoughts I get so enthusiastic over.

Today, I decided to document what goes on in my mind and in my life through a blog.  Given what I described above, you can imagine what it was like when I was thinking through how I would set it up. Imagine that one's train of thought during the brainstorming process were represented by a boardroom meeting, in which a group of thoughtful television writers were discussing ideas.  The most productive means of turning these ideas into reality would involve an organized discussion in which each writer suggests an idea one at a time. In my mind, this boardroom of thoughtful television writers would be better represented as a classroom of hyperactive children. The "dialogue" would proceed as follows:

"Oooh! You could talk about all the science you're doing in grad school!"
"Or you could upload your artwork!"
"Por qué no los dos?"
"Use glitter! ALL THE GLITTER!!!1!"
"I like planets."
"It'd be good to sort your posts by topic so tha-"
"Glitter! <3"

So in the meantime, forgive me if this blog starts out as a disorganized mess.  I'm just sifting through and processing all of my thoughts and excitement.

What it's like when most people have an exciting idea.
[Source: Public Domain]

What it's like when I have an exciting idea.
[source: Edward Betts/Creative Commons]

No comments:

Post a Comment